Gaya: Union minister Jitan Ram Manjhi on Monday criticised Gaya police over the attack on the convoy of Barachatti MLA Jyoti Manjhi, alleging negligence by the Mohanpur police station in-charge and demanding immediate action against those responsible.
Speaking to reporters in Gaya, the Hindustani Awam Morcha – Secular (HAM-S) leader said the party would launch protests if action was not taken against the station house officer (SHO) and the accused were not arrested within seven to eight days.
Questions raised over security arrangements
Manjhi said the attack on Jyoti Manjhi on Sunday was not the first such incident and claimed that police had repeatedly failed to provide adequate security.
He alleged that the incident could have been prevented if a police escort from Mohanpur police station had accompanied the MLA’s convoy.
According to the Union minister, the SHO had earlier declined to provide security, reportedly citing a lack of fuel for the police vehicle. Manjhi questioned how police vehicles later reached the spot after the attack if fuel had been unavailable earlier.
Allegations of deliberate inaction
Manjhi further alleged that the attackers could have been apprehended during the incident, claiming that police had reached the area from both sides but the accused still managed to escape.
He accused local police of deliberately shielding the attackers and alleged that negligence had been intentional.
The HAM-S leader also claimed that Jyoti Manjhi, who belongs to the Mahadalit community, was being targeted as part of a conspiracy.
Protest warning by HAM-S
Manjhi said HAM-S workers would stage demonstrations and lay siege to the residences of the district magistrate and senior superintendent of police if action was not taken within the stipulated timeframe.
Police authorities had not issued an immediate response to the allegations at the time of publication.





















